Oct 6, 2007

Happy Dying

R we always upset with death? I have come to understand 'not necessarily'.
Halo died yesterday afternoon. My very sweet bro called up crying to deliver this news. The fact that he partially detested his father didn't count. My grandma is probably the best 'cool chick' i have met in a long time: the global influence with Indianess really works magic. She also acted as a foil for him.

Halo never drank water (only beer) or had a straight conversation. On one of his vacations, he woke up late and Sugandha asked him if he had finished his bath. He promptly replied “ujed pad le la disat nahi ka?” (Can't u see the halo around me?') -- she n mom were baffled; dad and I burst into laughter. It's a family tradition that my dad and sometimes me keep up.

He was the generational torch and now that torch died, none of his siblings are alive and I don't think anybody misses them either. We remember him (actually everybody) only for his idiosyncrasies; they were all bonkers.

Instance: his eldest brother had a habit of locking everything (the big antiques locks). When we visited them, he would unlock the TV case unit and the kitchen cupboard, so that we could watch cartoon and mom can make some snacks sufficient for 6 people. I had declared him crazy long ago.

Halo hated to part with his gifts- even if they were useless-- like flowers. On his grand 70th birthday, we received the bouquets enough to open a florist store. They took all the backseat space in three cars to carry them home (& i had started to sneeze my head off). We were encouraging close relatives to take the ones they liked till Halo was furiously remarked, “we will make another trip to pick them up, they are mine; i will chew the petals and pee in the pots.” That made us laugh and offended most of the relatives.

Its funny but also infuriating to live with someone like him. Once he n Granny had a fight and he told her “don't come with me- i don't want you there and on the same flight”: she retorted- “Germany doesn't belong to your father, you can take another flight out if u want!” All this is crude Marathi! It was hilarious, she walked into the bedroom and laughed- saying he was a mad old man. I love her spirit to laugh at the sick things in life.

I am hoping that she takes this loss the same way-- with little strength and a heighten spirit.