Oct 24, 2007

The gong has rung!

Alzheimers died
day-before-yesterday night.

Mom says death never comes alone, it always comes in three's. It's especially true of her maternal family. I think the gong has rung in again. (This is one of those inexplicable beliefs that are born out of 'just happened'.) The last time my cousin uncle, maternal grandpa and then my maternal uncle died.
--------------The last death was a shock of sorts, youngest, most pampered, most spoilt and most successful of the sibling lot- he popped with a heart attack. (The fact that he smoked like a chimney and had a temper of Hulk doesn't count) As kids we used to make fun of his love life- he got married three times and none of his marriages were a success. I remember, one afternoon back from school, my mom was howling on the phone- it was my first experience to face an emotion muddled with fear, anger and hurt. My 1st mami had fled with her husband's driver. [Reflecting on that- he never owned a car after post that incident -- he just gave up on the vehicle.] Sasquatch was eight years old, when he died. And we like atypical kids were playing with the neighbour's parrot, unaware of the aftermath of what had happened.
---------------I had certain fascination for the last but one right-- touring the body covered with shroud and flowers around the city scape or to the funeral home. Every time a body passed; my mom, dad, every elder body in the house- stood in silence, prayed quietly. I saw that most people around me did the same, fights stopped that moment, palms were held together, fingers touched the forehead and chest in respect. That dead body was the focal point, center spot, the attention magnet.
-------------Before Halo died - Opinion died, now Alzheimers died. Opinion and Alzheimers were siblings. I wasn't close to any of them. Had a distinct dislike for Alzheimer's wife and kids. We met on occasions and touched every one's feet in respect, told them what i was doing in life, asked about their aches and hearing aids- listened patiently and smiled. Titanium balls has a large line of siblings, they have started to pop and current situation says one more to go before the the deaths halt. Who will it be? Beer Buddy, Titanium herself or will it be Quack-Quack?
--------------I know; even though 82, Titanium balls isn't going anywhere-- like the rest of us, God and Satan too are scared of her.
P.S. I have to go visit her this week, before it's late.