Oct 29, 2007

Cabbie v/s Client

I received a fwd from my boss today, with a link that I conveniently erased out.

Do u know, Rickshaw & Taxi Drivers do not have a right to say NO,. So remember that each time the rickshaw/taxi driver tells you a NO, take down his vehicle registration number, note the time date and place, please click on the following link and register your complaint.

We have had enough of these guys bullying us around, and refusing to ply specially when its urgent. They have been told that they cannot say a NO to any customer when their meter is FOR HIRE! not even for short or long distances. I'd suggest you stop asking them whether they will take you wherever you wish to go and rather tell them where you want to go. and if they refuse. REGISTER a COMPLAINT. Lets teach these guys who's the customer , and who's the boss!



Yes, of course it's time to cheer! This is because we get the upper hand. Most of us will be happy with the decision but I, for some inane reason do not wish to travel in a cab or an auto rickshaw with a driver not driving at his free will. It just doesn't seem fair- irrespective of their problems or their 'just don't want to' attitude.

There are times when I am irate and amused - like when they demand abominable amounts for small distances, especially when 'crisis' is visible on your face. Or when the driver checks you out before taking a call on whether he wants to drive that far/ near with your face in the rear-view mirror. I have even had certain drivers consciously adjust their mirrors- aligning them etc... it can be infuriating, complimenting and hilarious: depending on your mood for the day.

It's often the latter for me: I have come to acknowledge and grin away. These drivers have proved certain norms wrong- like I only have snob-class appeal; coz 'I have attitude'. No - the way they look, i know i have mass appeal! (lol) There is a certain pride that they display to fellow rickshaw drivers when they pass by - a smile or a 'maintain ur distance' look or sometimes my attitude rubs on the driver and he also suddenly becomes a snob.

There was one particular incident when this rick guy was eating gutkha, i didn't realise when i got in but within seconds it got me nauseating and i decided to get off. He was baffled and i told him it was his gutkha and it was giving me a headache. He asked for a two minute break, got off, spit it out rinsed his mouth with the bottled water, sat back and said sorry. I said thank you. Incidentally I met him again, weeks later, at the station, and he smiled real wide- then i recalled it was the same driver. As he was driving me back home, he told me that he had stopped eating gutkha and i said good, as it's really bad for ur health. He said it was because of me- and i was amused, i asked him 'why me'? He replied ,”Aap classwale log jab mere auto mai bathe, toh mereko bhi ache classwala hona magngta na? Aur classwala log gutkha nahi khata.” (when people of ur class/standard travel in my vehicle then i should also behave classy and people with class don't eat gutkha!) I told him he was 100 percent right and he should keep it that way.
(i am sort of a digression expert, aint i?)

i think it will be different if it's by force. Sometimes it's okay to let the driver choose his client. I know it's unnerving and cruel in emergencies but waiting for ricks (with hurting heels ondazed-out night) and getting late for a morning edit meet has taught me a lot of patience, hope (that the next passing empty rick will stop for me) and courage to smile when it doesn't. Then follow the higher principles of basic kindness or like the one above- that class doesn't come with money.

I owe these qualities to them... so i support their freedom to choose!