Jan 11, 2008

Books can go off the hook!

Enlightened got me a couple of Audio-books, to get a hang of them. I was a little skeptical about listening and not reading. [(Just seems very awkward when i say it in my head, 'i am listening to Frankenstein, or Huckleberry Finn or Great Expectations'. Like BlindSlease would say 'I was in a movie when u called', he being born blind often got 'pardon me? And the smart ass that he is, would proudly say 'i am blind, not deaf!') I know this digression was not worth making, but its the 'stream-of-consciousness' hangover, or disassociate writing or some such jargon shit]

E got me thinking when he remarked, “K, like u judge people by the books they read, i judge them by the music they listen to.” i generally don't do that - at least openly but when i think of it - i really consider a whole bunch of my acquaintances moronic coz they don't read or appreciate the stuff that i think they should have have read backwards with ease. It struck me then, 'learning and wisdom' have nothing much to do with reading. In an age of multi-media, a book seems archaic. Loudmouth and Childmom would disagree, as they mock people who don't like to read.

I remember most of the books i've read; however, what i remember most vividly is how i felt when i read them, or a certain character that made want something more than i had. A love story that i wish was a part of my life, a battle that i had bravely won, i even wanted to be the footman who foretold the disaster before it struck.
I wanted to be Shakespeare's fool!

Books were my way of moving into a world that was mine, without competition, without examination or teachers and reading has always been treated as a 'good habit' so i don't think i was discouraged. The flip side was that i lost myself in them - i could feel the hurt and the joys for a long time after i had finished the book. I cried buckets when old father time hung himself i can never forget that line 'because we were too many'. Books can take you into depression, can bring you hope, make you smart and feel great!

However, this is true of movies, music, sitcoms (remember Wonder Years? Potli Baba Ki? Chandrakanta? Sex and the City? Heroes? Star wars?), games (Badminton, Lagori, Cricket, Cycling with your hand spread out like wings? Monopoly, Cards, Life, Scrabble?) as well. We learn from so many things, travelling for some is a world-wise experience, the road a great teacher like the sea and the etc... books are not the be all and end all of gyaan! I was also lost in them, I would believe that a prince, princess, wenches, dukes, dark ladies, princely states, married tortured women, reveng stories, orgasms, hatered, mindless love, kingdom wars... in fact I still do! I haven't come out of that world, it's too deeply ingrained in me to dissolve or wash away. Black pearl use to say “literature often fucks-up more people than it straightens them out.” I agree, but in tow with the attraction theory, most lit freaks are emotionally fucked anyways!

Monkey baby, twit, anorexia personified are growing up - i think being the eldest i will encourage them to venture out and find their means of acquiring information and knowledge.