Jul 23, 2007

Passing the Parcel

Often one sees or speaks of certain ethnicities being naturally more aggressive, for the reason of being a minority in a global society; but it is important that we understand the psychology of that community and its aftermath on the global society.
We are in a glocal arena, where traditional beliefs take precedence over individual identity. I-dent-ity is constructed by a synergy of political structures and economic super structures. The world economy is divided into: the invading capitalist minority and an alienated/ aggressed subaltern majority.
When we see specks of groupism, we regret not crushing the minority even further. Be it Kashmir or London, Afghanistan or New York --- the ethnic minority pinches us, questions our democratic ideal and our financial zeal to strengthen our economies.
Today, we have fewer options but to correct our mistakes. Somebody here has to pay its price. It possibly can’t be us. The state is not entitled to enter our pent-houses and drag us into the courts for a hole in the ozone layer. “You possibly can’t sue me for driving a car the exhales carbon monoxide! You can’t arrest my husband for being a scientist and experimenting with various radioactive nuclei. NO, absolutely not!”

None of the above can will or shall be done. For simpler reasons, it is a way of living in a progressive economy. Who pays the price then?
Thankfully, I have a poor neighbour, who has a poorer relative back in some city that I have never heard of and some country whose name I seem to forget all the time. I pass my unworthy buck to him and – tell him it is unworthy to me but it is still a buck! He is not so glad to receive it, however is glad that I gave him something, spoke a sentence and acknowledged his existence. I do not know whether it means anything to him but I do know that he can not use this knowledge to any advantage.
My neighbour is not a fool, (hence he can afford to be my neighbour) he knows the art of this trade. He passes the unworthy buck to his relative as a ‘buck from a financially polished society’. He in turn is happy to receive and affirmation from his next of kin. The buck is of little knowledge to him and will ever be. He frames the buck and displays it to all significant guests that visit him.
One day the relative dies a suspicious death. Some curious minds explore the reasons and find out that it was more unnatural than they thought. Science, is like a mystery novel; till you do not find out the ‘who’s and the how’s’, it shall deny you every pleasure. They conclude that the buck has everything to do with the death …that leads them to track the buck down and by the time it reaches its source, I will have moved into my new villa beside the mayor’s.
My neighbour is no fool and neither am I.