Aug 2, 2010

An Island of Verse - Kamala Das (1934-2009)

Poems are not people, maybe about a poet, but not people. A verse can never totally be intravenously linked to the person who wrote it; if you do, it'd be your folly. A person must be free of his/her poetry to conduct his/ her own life.

Who are you to tell me how I should write? How I should live? Which ideology I must conform to?
I have a mind, I don't need to borrow yours.
~ Kamala Das/ Madhavikutty/ Amy/ Kamala Suraiya taught me this.

(It took me sometime to write this post. It felt odd to write about someone inspiring, now that they were physically dead. Although, I do not think her life mattered to me as much as her work.)

I started reading Kamala during college, like everyone else. My initial reactions were to hide away the anthology, lest someone read it and judged me for reading it. Reading it aloud felt like hot tarmac on my tongue. The very next year, I wrote an essay on her, was thankful that her work was a part of my study. She definitely was an intriguing, unconventional and a bold poet to study. Her unafraid expression of love, lust and loathing for social norms was very welcome.

For someone who read rhythmical, meter structured Frost, Tagore, Naidu, Brooks, Wordsworth, Browning - it was absurdly refreshing to read a woman who wrote about the follies of her heart, the desires of her body, and the not the Bazaars, or the lilies or the rainbow or the dammed nightingale. Kamala was human, alive, brutally honest and confidant as a woman poet. She lived like a woman, cooked like a woman, bore children like a woman.... then went on to become more than just a woman. Her work embodies it all - the chores, the duty, the loathing, the optimism, the need... all of it!

By the midst of my essay, I read that she was re-married to a man who followed Islam and would settle in the silence of a pardah. I was not surprised, some part of my mind, by then, was asking for a drastic decision; more professional though, like writing bhajans! Nevertheless, here she was, the wayward child of Indian English poetry, quitting the brashness of her 'writing of the body' and moving backstage, rejecting the furors from her fan clubs.

I read her verse off and on, only because it reminds me of my mind, it makes me shameless and subsequently fearless. She should be read, because, she brought Indian women writers out of their closet - had the same impact that French women had on women writers globally. 

I often like to remember Kamala by what expresses her mind the best - the very same that introduced her to the poetry circles within the country.


An Introduction
Kamala Das


I don’t know politics but I know the names
Of those in power, and can repeat them like
Days of week, or names of months, beginning with Nehru.
I am Indian, very brown, born in Malabar,
I speak three languages, write in
Two, dream in one.
Don’t write in English, they said, English is
Not your mother-tongue. Why not leave
Me alone, critics, friends, visiting cousins,
Every one of you? Why not let me speak in
Any language I like? The language I speak,
Becomes mine, its distortions, its queerness
All mine, mine alone.
It is half English, half-Indian, funny perhaps, but it is honest,
It is as human as I am human, don’t
You see? It voices my joys, my longings, my
Hopes, and it is useful to me as cawing
Is to crows or roaring to the lions, it
Is human speech, the speech of the mind that is
Here and not there, a mind that sees and hears and
Is aware. Not the deaf, blind speech
Of trees in storm or of monsoon clouds or of rain or the
Incoherent mutterings of the blazing
Funeral pyre.

I was child, and later they
Told me I grew, for I became tall, my limbs
Swelled and one or two places sprouted hair.
 When I asked for love, not knowing what else to ask
For, he drew a youth of sixteen into the
Bedroom and closed the door, He did not beat me
But my sad woman-body felt so beaten.
The weight of my breasts and womb crushed me.
I shrank Pitifully.
Then … I wore a shirt and my
Brother’s trousers, cut my hair short and ignored
My womanliness. Dress in sarees, be girl
Be wife, they said. Be embroiderer, be cook,
Be a quarreler with servants. Fit in. Oh,
Belong, cried the categorizers. Don’t sit
On walls or peep in through our lace-draped windows.
Be Amy, or be Kamala. Or, better
Still, be Madhavikutty. It is time to
Choose a name, a role. Don’t play pretending games.
Don’t play at schizophrenia or be a
Nympho. Don’t cry embarrassingly loud when
Jilted in love …
I met a man, loved him. Call
Him not by any name, he is every man
Who wants. a woman, just as I am every
Woman who seeks love. In him . . . the hungry haste
Of rivers, in me . . . the oceans’ tireless
Waiting. Who are you, I ask each and everyone,
The answer is, it is I. Anywhere and,
Everywhere, I see the one who calls himself I
In this world, he is tightly packed like the
Sword in its sheath. It is I who drink lonely
Drinks at twelve, midnight, in hotels of strange towns,
It is I who laugh, it is I who make love
And then, feel shame, it is I who lie dying
With a rattle in my throat. I am sinner,
I am saint. I am the beloved and the
Betrayed. I have no joys that are not yours, no
Aches which are not yours.I too call myself I.

Now some of my favorites - 

The Maggots (from The Descendants)
At sunset, on the river bank, Krishna
Loved her for the last time and left...
That night in her husband's arms, Radha felt
So dead that he asked, What is wrong,
Do you mind my kisses, love? And she said,
No, not at all, but thought, What is
It to the corpse if the maggots nip?

Love (From Summer in Calcutta)
Until I found you,
I wrote verse, drew pictures,
And, went out with friends
For walks…
Now that I love you,
Curled like an old mongrel
My life lies, content,
In you….

The Looking Glass
Getting a man to love you is easy
Only be honest about your wants as
Woman. Stand nude before the glass with him
So that he sees himself the stronger one
And believes it so, and you so much more
Softer, younger, lovelier. Admit your
Admiration. Notice the perfection
Of his limbs, his eyes reddening under
The shower, the shy walk across the bathroom floor,
Dropping towels, and the jerky way he
Urinates. All the fond details that make
Him male and your only man. Gift him all,
Gift him what makes you woman, the scent of
Long hair, the musk of sweat between the breasts,
The warm shock of menstrual blood, and all your
Endless female hungers. Oh yes, getting
A man to love is easy, but living
Without him afterwards may have to be
Faced. A living without life when you move
Around, meeting strangers, with your eyes that
Gave up their search, with ears that hear only
His last voice calling out your name and your
Body which once under his touch had gleamed
Like burnished brass, now drab and destitute.

   
The Stone Age (from The Old Playhouse and Other Poems)
Fond husband, ancient settler in the mind,
Old fat spider, weaving webs of bewilderment,
Be kind. You turn me into a bird of stone, a granite
Dove, you build round me a shabby room,
And stroke my pitted face absent-mindedly while
You read. With loud talk you bruise my pre-morning sleep,
You stick a finger into my dreaming eye. And
Yet, on daydreams, strong men cast their shadows, they sink
Like white suns in the swell of my Dravidian blood,
Secretly flow the drains beneath sacred cities.
When you leave, I drive my blue battered car
Along the bluer sea. I run up the forty
Noisy steps to knock at another's door.
Though peep-holes, the neighbours watch,
they watch me come
And go like rain. Ask me, everybody, ask me
What he sees in me, ask me why he is called a lion,
A libertine, ask me why his hand sways like a hooded snake
Before it clasps my pubis. Ask me why like
A great tree, felled, he slumps against my breasts,
And sleeps. Ask me why life is short and love is
Shorter still, ask me what is bliss and what its price....