Sep 4, 2009

Scarier than Strange

Every Monsoon, I notice that something in this city has drastically changed. And not for good, something that I miss.

Like the previous year, this year too there are no frogs! It's raining but NO FROGS.
No croaking, no mating calls, no springing up along the stairs, no screeches from my maid, no kids diving into a large puddle in the playground to grab the biggest frog, simply no sight of them!

Every year (since more than a decade) some crow couples build their nest in the hibiscus tree, in the courtyard. Over the years, the numbers have diminished. 2008, there was only one who , build its nest really high up in the tree. [my grandpa taught me that when birds expect heavy rain, they build within the closures of the tree; when scanty, closer to the light and the sky. So every year I'd predict if it was going to rain good or not.] This year there isn't a single nest!

There are lesser sparrows flying into the house every morning, and even lesser bitches birthing a litter in the compound.

Something has gone wrong; I have a terrible feeling inside me, something that I can not reverse.